World of Warcraft Still Number 1?
World of Warcraft is arguably the most popular MMORPG available on the internet, claiming the throne almost 7 years ago, the game has the highest revenue generated by an MMO company as well as the biggest subscriber base. Every major MMO release brings about discussions of said game topping WoW and so far, none have managed it.
A recent article in Korean magazine, This Is Game, lead players to believe that WoW’s domination of the MMO genre isn’t as stable as some may think. The publication included details on another MMO that is rapidly approaching the $1 billion mark. The first title that comes to mind is probably the recently released Star Wars: The Old Republic, but that’s not even close. The current game sweeping across Korea is Cross Fire, a first person MMO title that has achieved over $860 million in revenue. They never said exactly where they got their information from but the second title on their list, earning a whopping $416 million, is Dungeon Fighter Online, WoW featured 7th on their revenue list for 2011.
So although WoW is still dominating in the West, Eastern titles are starting to pick up. I can’t help but think, how much longer can WoW stay at the top?
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- ArcheAge Release Dated August 31, 2014
- Leaked Footage Of Driveclub Beta August 31, 2014
- Indie MMO Project Gorgon Graces Kickstarter August 31, 2014
- Exciting Event Of Galactic Proportions Arrives In Super Hero Squad Online August 31, 2014
- DayZ On PS4 - Pay For A Console Port Of An Unfinished Game By A Guy Ditching His Own Project? 2014-08-12 23:35:21