Runescape Looking To Expand To Consoles
In a recent interview at an Edinburgh Conference Runescape CEO, Mark Gerhard, went through the possibilities of the popular free to play browser title hitting gaming consoles. He mentioned that Jagex have had a heavy focus on increasing the potential of Runescape for some time and have already discussed the possibility of releasing the game on Xbox 360 and PS3 but sadly Microsoft and Sony put a stop to it at the final hurdle. In the interview Mark made it clear that Runescape was technically ready to be a cross-platform MMO title for both consoles, but neither Microsoft or Sony would give permission for cross-platform play.
This came as a surprise to many, Runescape is a free to play title so most would expect that to be the cause of the problem, as both Sony and Microsoft are known for trying to squeeze that extra dollar. Both companies went on record to say they were totally happy to offer a free to play title on the console but current talks have hit a brick wall as neither is willing to let its players play with the competitors’.
Even if you’re not a Runescape player, this is huge news. Many AAA title MMO games would greatly benefit from extra players and the console fans are screaming out for some decent online content, if there’s any MMO that can cause MS and Sony to bend a little, it’s Runescape.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- $18 Million Prize Tournament Begins For DOTA 2 August 4, 2015
- Hi-Rez Studios Announce Brand New Title – Paladins August 4, 2015
- Bigpoint Announce Rise Of Balor Expansion For Drakensang Online August 2, 2015
- New Hardcore FPS Set To Release In August – Dead Union August 2, 2015
- Player Housing In The Elder Scrolls Online - The Challenges Facing Zenimax 2015-08-03 18:32:07