FFXIV Producer Defends Pay-To-Play In The MMO Industry
With the recent early access release for The Elder Scrolls Online and the upcoming release of WildStar, pay-to-play and other expensive financial models have come under question yet again. However, one figure in the industry is adamant that pay-to-play is the future for the MMORPG genre as FFXIV Producer Naoki Yoshida explained in a recent interview with GamesIndustry.
FFXIV was all but written off after an infamously poor launch the first time round but despite a controversial subscription model and a yearly delayed release, it’s widely considered a huge success today. During the interview Naoki Yoshida defended the subscription model and said developers only switch to free-to-play with the hopes of making a quick buck.
“A lot of games look at the first two months of subscription numbers, think that’s not going to be a feasible business, and switch over to free-to-play,” producer on Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Naoki Yoshida told GamesIndustry . “I don’t think it’s necessarily because free-to-play is a better form, though. It’s more about people making a rash decision to switch over and chase a quick buck.”
It’s unclear whether the console community will take to a previously PC/Online exclusive payment model but with some big console MMO releases just around the corner, it won’t be long before we find out.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- MMO Developer Will Continue To Charge Subscriptions After Closing Down The Game November 27, 2015
- Armored Warfare Players Celebrate Black Friday November 27, 2015
- Chronicle: RuneScape Legends Enters Closed Beta November 26, 2015
- Black Desert Closed Beta Incoming November 26, 2015
- 5 Of Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide's Biggest Problems 2015-10-29 22:18:22