Runic Games – Torchlight
The developers behind Mythos return as Runic Games, and they have a promising project already in development named Torchlight.
“Torchlight” is an adventure-themed Action-MMORPG. Adventurers set out from the town of Torchlight into the nearby mountains in search of the magic ore that imbues their equipment with power, yet imperils their very existence. “Torchlight” emphasizes a simple and intuitive interface, fast and furious action, and a colorful and compelling game world.
Runic Games will initially release Torchlight as a standalone Single Player game, Torchlight will be released in the latter part of 2009 as a download or in box. Following the single player release, work will commence on a fully-featured MMO version.
In our small interview with the developer before E3 we found out this:
1. Mythos was a very popular game at XMMORPG, can you tell us what happen with this IP?
You know, we loved making and playing Mythos, but don’t have any information on it anymore. We’ve taken all the passion we had for that project and the feedback from our amazing fans, and put that towards making a brand new game, Torchlight.
2. With the new company formed, can you tell us what are your plans, goals, what type of games you are planning to make?
We love games and love to make games that we love to play! That said, we are so happy to be working on Torchlight! We’re creating the single player version right now which is already really fun. We’ll be doing a demo of it at E3. Look for it to be released later this Fall.
3. What can you tell us about your upcoming project Torchlight?
Torchlight is an action-adventure RPG in the finest tradition of the genre – everything you would want and more, cool bosses to conquer, loot to find, trap doors within the levels, highly moddable and great fun to play. The single player version will be out in Fall 2009, and the MMO version will build on the Torchlight world and will be released later.
4. What are the key features that you will think will keep players busy and entertained?
Torchlight is already addictive – the graphics are great, quests and challenges are very satisfying. I think players will really appreciate the mod-ability in Torchlight and it will keep them coming back for more.
5. What model of pricing you will use?
We’re still figuring this out, but will let you know!
From the E3 factsheet we get more information
Single Player Version:
Players will choose from among three character classes, and venture from the safety of the town of Torchlight into randomly generated dungeon levels, with a huge variety of creepy monsters, endless variations of loot to find, and quests to complete. The endless randomization ensures a long-lived gameplay experience.
- Randomization – Our level layouts are randomly created, so each adventure is unique. Monsters, treasures, puzzles, and items are also different each time you embark on an adventure.
- Easy, approachable interface – Torchlight is designed to be easy to play right from the beginning. The intuitive interface gives players easy access to a rich and varied world.
- Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters.
- Pets – Players will choose a pet to accompany them. Pets can level up along with the player, and will help in battle, carry items, and perform a variety of helpful services.
- Character Classes – Players will create and customize a character and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character will be custom-tailored and different.
- Fishing – Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to visit one of the fishing holes and relax and see what they can catch. Fish have interesting benefits for the player and pet, and other rewards can also be discovered
- Included Editor – Runic Games is embracing our modding community by including an editor so our players can create and design their own content.
The Torchlight MMO expands on virtually every aspect of gameplay. While maintaining the fast-paced Actiion RPG gameplay style, Torchlight will introduce many traditional MMO features and an expansive world. Like the other Perfect World-published MMOs, Torchlight will be “Free-To-Play.” Players can earn and spend money to upgrade a large variety of items to enhance their game play experience through an in-game item shop.
Published by Perfect World, the Torchlight MMO will offer a rich social environment where players can adventure together in a contiguous over world environment with many different dungeon types to explore. Populated by a diverse and colorful set of vendors, quest-givers, and town elders, players will learn about the rich lore and history of Torchlight and the surrounding Ember veins, and set off on quests and adventures that reveal the secrets, dangers, and long history of the magical substance.
The release date for the Torchlight MMO is yet to be determined.
KEY MMO ADDITIONS
- Expansive World – Large overland areas and deep, randomly generated dungeons offer a variety of exploration and adventuring opportunities.
- Customization – The level of character customization is upped significantly in the MMO, with more class choices, looks, and options which allow a truly personalized character.
- Territory Wars – Torchlight will take advantage of precedent set by other Perfect World MMOs and offer weekly battles for territory, with winners receiving significant rewards.
- Mounts – Large variety of mounts to assist in navigating the world.
- PvP – Torchlight will give PvP fans a variety of constructs to determine just who the mightiest warrior in the land is.
- Social Features – Marriage systems, buddy lists, chat features, and world events will all create a rich social environment never before seen in an action MMO.
Due to the success of Mythos but the sad demise of the company, we are waiting with joy this action rpg mmo, and I am sure many Mythos players will love this game.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- Hearthstone Korea Masters Hosting Details March 30, 2015
- Spring Festival Arrives In Wizard101 March 30, 2015
- Square Enix Tease Details For Upcoming Before The Fall – Part 2 Update For Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn March 28, 2015
- Hearthstone Blackrock Mountain Expansion Release Details March 28, 2015