Old vs New – Anarchy Online vs Aion
I am a mmorpg gamer all the way since 1999.I started with Asheron’s Call, then moved to DAOC, Lineage 2, AO, EVE, WOW and many others. While playing so many mmorpgs, i cannot stop to compare Asheron’s Call, Anarchy Online, EVE Online with the rest. Since these games offer a complete character control, good pvp, and innovative features.
Recently i been in Aion with the massive number of players and i only managed to play it for 2 weeks until lvl 25, then quit. During my time in Aion i was about to quit that game for about three times, and last time i actually did and i don’t regret it. Why you ask? Well Korean developers were never good in developing good mmorpgs and probablythey will never will.
Let’s start with the good things:
– i loved in Aion the crafting system, grindy but good, you could actually craft valuable items, and with the crit system even more good items for you or to sell.
– superb music
– super graphics and locations. There were some locations that made just say WOW!
– combo / chain system and the animations, good stuff; being able to stop a mob casting with a skill or a critical hit, good stuff
– the limited flying system, pretty good.
– some of the campaign quest with the cut-scenes
– horrible quest design, where some quests simple were made to piss you off, go here X, and y, and then Z
– the lore and the way the game tried to present you the story, it was very artificial and they didn’t managed at least on my side to actually made feel something, that i am actually doing something that matters, that i am part of something big.
– Abyss is just a instanced battleground. I thought that will take the Lineage 2 castle system in, but they actually broke it, and made some more WAR battleground type, which i don’t like it overall.
– PVP is ok, but nothing new in it, besides that you can fight in AIR which is decent, but nothing special for me. After playing EVE Online, Asheron’s Call, this PVP in Aion is far from good.
– lack of diversity. Basically all of you game you grind your way to lvl 50, and then you will “PVPEW” in groups in Abyss or Rifts, where the rewards come in a form of WoWish honor system, the more you kill you get points to buy Abyss PVP equipment. It’s ok, but only fighting for equipment, i don’t see a point in that. I played Lineage 2, WOW and other games, to do this again and to call it good. So basically as a new player you do a lot of quests, some group campaign quests, lvl your crafting if you want, some pvp in Abyss, some instances, that’s it. I did this in the last 10 years, and it was much better in other games, on every level. It been done before.
– disguised WOW with another theme, system
– nothing real interesting to do until high lvl besides maybe to participate in sieges from lvl 25, and doing some rifts in groups.
– the developers are not communicating with the players, and they have serious bot problems, tho lately they actually did something. On EU official forums you will see no community manager, since he stays on twitter. I think it the last NC Soft game for me.
So after i cancel my subscription, i said ok, what now. I started to research again looking for a new mmorpg, tried about everything, and returned unexpectedly to Anarchy Online. It been a week in the game and it made admit that mmorpg have been going down in quality since 2004. THANK YOU WOW!
Lets start with what i like in Anarchy Online
– old school character development system. You basically control each ability and skill you have and raise it every time you level.
– superb character customization through nanos, implants, and the attributes distribution
– great sci-fi atmosphere, and conflict between 2 sides
– there is so much to do in this game, that will probably take me a year to explore it again. From lvling for items and xp in different locations, instances; doing missions from Mission Terminals; crafting good stuff ; participating in Alien Raids which are incredible even now; Notum Wars PVP; Station Battles PVP; LE Notum Wars with Mechs; twinking your character; fighting Dyna bosses; it like a huge universe there and the atmosphere it incredible, and you have a lot of things to explore.
– great community, the ARK GMs, which are like players GM that help you, talk with ya from time to time. A few days ago one spawned near me and asked if i need for help. i was like omg ( after NC Soft experience, where they don’t give a frack about their customers), a GM asked if I need help.
– several vehicles to choose from, some that are able to fly and even battle mechs.
I don’t like:
– Control system could use some love, but with some options on you can play normally
– new graphics i would like (it is in development by Funcom)
– better tutorial, and documentation. While i can handle the game through several guides from some sites, new WOWish players, will stand no chance, since this is game is complex, it gives you complete control over you character, is not just a template with 30 skills until lvl XX, and that’s it.
– it requires a good guild if you are new player, otherwise you have no chance, there is so much to do and learn, but hard to learn, explore without help.
In conclusion AO which is made in 2001(8 YEARS and one engine update), wins over almost any current mmorpg game at this moment(they are exceptions), since every MMORPG released in the last 4 years, it just mainstream pile of shit, made only to be played by as many players possible, and simple as possible with a huge grind. They have, some of them, very interesting features, but overall more of them they fail for me.
If i would compare Anarchy Online with the most of today’s mmorpgs, i would say Anarchy Online is “Pulp Fiction” or “District 9” and the today games are “G.I. Joe Rise ofThe Cobra” or “Transformers”. All flash no substance, and yes, Hollywood fails.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- Star Wars Battlefront Trailer & Release Date April 17, 2015
- Hounds: The Last Hope Cinematic Trailer & Open Beta Release April 17, 2015
- Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade Combats Pay-To-Win Concerns In Latest State Of The Crusade Update April 16, 2015
- EA Announce Upcoming Closure Of FIFA World, Need For Speed World & Battlefield Heroes April 16, 2015