Star Wars: Galaxies Closing Down
It has been an intergalactic bumpy ride for the first fully licensed Star Wars MMORPG but after 8 years, Lucas Arts announced that the popular MMO will close its doors in December of this year.
Blessed with a huge amount of popularity at launch, many have seen SWG to be on a general decline since the famous update that turned away such a large portion of the initial player-base but despite this, SWG has continued strong and is almost forced to close its doors thanks to the new Star Wars title, The Old Republic.
Lucas Arts have not fully given up on the title, they did consider the option of going to a free to play model but in an announcement from the developers, they made it clear that not only was it financially impossible but the game model itself could no longer function as a viable business with competition from more recent MMORPG titles.
All hope is not lost, plenty of content updates have been promised before game closes its doors in December and Lucas Arts promised an event fitting to the incredible journey players have had while experiencing the Star Wars Universe. It’s a sad day when any MMO closes but fans are hopeful that The Old Republic can help fill the void that will surely be left after SWG disappears to a universe far, far away.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- New British Tank Destroyers Arriving In World Of Tanks December 22, 2014
- Real World Billionaire Challenged To Repeat Success In Virtual MMO Economy December 22, 2014
- SMITE God Giveaway – Awilix December 19, 2014
- Curse Voice To Power SMITE World Championships December 19, 2014
- Top 10 Highest Grossing Free-To-Play MMO Games 2014 2014-12-21 17:22:20