Salem Developers Announce Server Wipe
The developers of the indie permadeath MMO, Salem, disappointed many today with the announcement of an upcoming server wipe accompanying the next update. The developers had previously stated that they had hoped to avoid future wipes, which many players took as a guarantee, however it appears the wipe is inevitable if the next patch is to be successful.
I am really butthurt. You said you wouldn’t do this.
We did not arrive at this decision lightly. We have considered all our options (including selective, limited wipes, simple introduction of a new server, &c), and for various reasons found them wanting. It is true that it has been our ambition to not make more world resets, and I hope that it can continue to be thus. The problem of server over-establishment can, however, hardly be solved in any way other than by pruning servers, which we feel leaves us scant options. The introduction of significantly reworked systems for character development also gives cause for balance concerns if we do not introduce them to a tabula rasa.
It’s understandable that many Salem players are angry at the decision but it’s not all bad. The wipe will allow the developers to implement a new map design system that will see far greater depth and variety in the game world, creating a far more exciting and immersive experience. You can join the discussion regarding the wipe on the official forums.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- Interact With The Glorious Universe Of Destiny September 2, 2014
- Double RP And New Flight School’s Arrive In Grand Theft Auto Online September 2, 2014
- Warframe Xbox One Release Is Here September 2, 2014
- Tribal Wars 2 Open Beta Arrives September 2, 2014
- DayZ On PS4 - Pay For A Console Port Of An Unfinished Game By A Guy Ditching His Own Project? 2014-08-12 23:35:21