Mark Kern World Of Warcraft Has “Killed A Genre”
A former developer of World of Warcraft and Red 5 Studios CEO, Mark Kern, recently stated that he believes World of Warcraft has killed the MO genre.
“Sometimes I look at WoW and think ‘what have we done?’ I think I know. I think we killed a genre.”
He went on to discuss the possible problems caused by making such a large-scale MMORPG game so easily accessible and available to the masses of the casual gamer.
“When the bar is lowered so that everyone can reach max level quickly, it makes getting to max level the only sense of accomplishment in the game,” he said, “We lose the whole journey in between, a journey that is supposed to feel fun and rewarding on its own. Nobody stops to admire a beautiful zone or listen to story or lore, because there is no time to do so.”
How do you feel about it? Do you agree that the rush to end-game far surpasses the urge to explore, the urge to feel? Leave a comment below.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- Blue Beetle Set To Debut In Infinite Crisis April 16, 2014
- Heroic Celebrations For 3rd Anniversary In Super Hero Squad Online April 16, 2014
- Swordsman Online Class Reveal Trailer April 15, 2014
- Monkey King Online Leaps Into Open Beta April 14, 2014
- Why Is The MOBA Genre Still Lacking Character Creation & Customization? 2014-04-16 13:48:32