Mark Kern World Of Warcraft Has “Killed A Genre”
A former developer of World of Warcraft and Red 5 Studios CEO, Mark Kern, recently stated that he believes World of Warcraft has killed the MO genre.
“Sometimes I look at WoW and think ‘what have we done?’ I think I know. I think we killed a genre.”
He went on to discuss the possible problems caused by making such a large-scale MMORPG game so easily accessible and available to the masses of the casual gamer.
“When the bar is lowered so that everyone can reach max level quickly, it makes getting to max level the only sense of accomplishment in the game,” he said, “We lose the whole journey in between, a journey that is supposed to feel fun and rewarding on its own. Nobody stops to admire a beautiful zone or listen to story or lore, because there is no time to do so.”
How do you feel about it? Do you agree that the rush to end-game far surpasses the urge to explore, the urge to feel? Leave a comment below.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- The Imperial City Heading To The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited August 31, 2015
- ASUS Teams Up With World Of Warships August 31, 2015
- Motiga Launch Closed Beta For Gigantic August 28, 2015
- Guild Wars 2 Heart Of Thorns Launch Date Announced August 28, 2015
- Player Housing In The Elder Scrolls Online - The Challenges Facing Zenimax 2015-08-03 18:32:07