Mark Kern World Of Warcraft Has “Killed A Genre”
A former developer of World of Warcraft and Red 5 Studios CEO, Mark Kern, recently stated that he believes World of Warcraft has killed the MO genre.
“Sometimes I look at WoW and think ‘what have we done?’ I think I know. I think we killed a genre.”
He went on to discuss the possible problems caused by making such a large-scale MMORPG game so easily accessible and available to the masses of the casual gamer.
“When the bar is lowered so that everyone can reach max level quickly, it makes getting to max level the only sense of accomplishment in the game,” he said, “We lose the whole journey in between, a journey that is supposed to feel fun and rewarding on its own. Nobody stops to admire a beautiful zone or listen to story or lore, because there is no time to do so.”
How do you feel about it? Do you agree that the rush to end-game far surpasses the urge to explore, the urge to feel? Leave a comment below.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- XP Event For Star Trek Online Begins Today March 7, 2014
- Player Housing Heading To The Old Republic March 7, 2014
- Scylla Joins The Ranks Of SMITE March 6, 2014
- Check Out This Awesome Coverage From The Auraxis Front Lines March 6, 2014
- SMITE Could Be The Best Beta Journey In MMO History 2014-03-06 19:34:19