DC Universe Free To Play Model A Huge Success
When DC Universe Online was launched early January this year, many expected it to dethrone genre giants Champions Online and City of Heroes, but sadly the game fell short of expectations and failed to deliver the spandex wearing experience that many had come to expect.
As a result the developers done what every struggling AAA game does, they opted for a free to play revenue model. It’s a cutthroat business when it comes to transferring to free to play, some games die quietly, other titles like Lord of the Rings Online explode with popularity, thankfully for DCUO fans, DC Universe went the way of Lotro.
In a recent tweet by Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley, he said that the game has seen a huge 4x increase in active players since the free to play launch 3 days ago. Since transferring to the new model 120,000 players signed up for the PC title and as many are expected to join the Playstation version as well.
The MMO success story is a rare thing in today’s market so it makes a nice change to see a game performing so well.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- Pokemon Trading Card Game Online Hits Mobile Platforms Today September 30, 2014
- Stormthrone Teaser Site Revealed September 30, 2014
- F.E.A.R Online Steam Release Dated September 29, 2014
- Further Destiny Leaks Show New Strike & Crucible Content September 29, 2014
- DayZ On PS4 - Pay For A Console Port Of An Unfinished Game By A Guy Ditching His Own Project? 2014-08-12 23:35:21