DC Universe Free To Play Model A Huge Success
When DC Universe Online was launched early January this year, many expected it to dethrone genre giants Champions Online and City of Heroes, but sadly the game fell short of expectations and failed to deliver the spandex wearing experience that many had come to expect.
As a result the developers done what every struggling AAA game does, they opted for a free to play revenue model. It’s a cutthroat business when it comes to transferring to free to play, some games die quietly, other titles like Lord of the Rings Online explode with popularity, thankfully for DCUO fans, DC Universe went the way of Lotro.
In a recent tweet by Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley, he said that the game has seen a huge 4x increase in active players since the free to play launch 3 days ago. Since transferring to the new model 120,000 players signed up for the PC title and as many are expected to join the Playstation version as well.
The MMO success story is a rare thing in today’s market so it makes a nice change to see a game performing so well.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- Orsinium Announced As Next DLC For The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited October 7, 2015
- Chronicle: RuneScape Legends November Closed Beta Announced October 7, 2015
- HEX: Shards of Fate Prepares For $100,000 Invitational Tournament October 7, 2015
- The Jordas Precept Introduces Epic New Content To Warframe October 6, 2015
- The Taken King Has Restored My Interest In Destiny 2015-09-20 00:28:29