MOBA Games – What More Can Be Done?
Currently one of the most popular MMORPG game genres on the planet. The MOBA niche exploded onto the scene thanks to the popularity of a Warcraft mod, Defense of the Ancients. Since that time we’ve seen a plethora of games burst onto the scene, but the majority attempt to replicate the recipe from past MOBA games; rather than bringing their own innovation and ideas to the market.
League of Legends is the current king of the MOBA genre. Boasting over 100 playable Champions, one of the most competitive gaming leagues on the planet, and millions of players across the globe, there doesn’t seem to be any room for a new title to enter the genre.
Several MOBA games have entered the mix since League of Legends released, but the majority have been carbon copies with cheaper game mechanics and a total reliance on micro-transactions and item malls. There have been a few that have attempted to break the mold, such as SMITE and Warhammer: Wrath of Heroes. SMITE provided players with a third-person view and WASD controls, over that of point and click, isometric mechanics seen in other popular MOBA games. Warhammer: Wrath of Heroes brought the PvP combat from the Warhammer MMO to an instanced based MOBA setting. However, the game failed to make any serious impact and will be closing down later this year.
So what’s left for the most popular MMO genre on the planet? What new ideas can developers bring to the table? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think can be improved.
Featured MMORPG / MMO
LATEST MMORPG NEWS
- Maple Story & Sword Art Online Crossover Event September 22, 2014
- Conquer Online To Feature Iconic Name In Martial Arts September 22, 2014
- Shroud Of The Avatar Heading To Greenlight September 22, 2014
- New Patch For The Stomping Lands – After 4 Months Of Nothing September 22, 2014
- DayZ On PS4 - Pay For A Console Port Of An Unfinished Game By A Guy Ditching His Own Project? 2014-08-12 23:35:21